Sunday, December 19, 2010

Mexican Bandit


This week we are going to move South of the Border and look at Mexican Bandits and Revolutionaries. What better way to start the week than with this picture of the quintessential Revolutionary . . . José Doroteo Arango Arámbula, aka Francisco Villa, aka Pancho Villa. I like this picture of him because of the classic Bandoliers over his sholders forming an "X" across the chest. I would have preferred he have more actual weaponry in view, but I guess you can not have it all. Also, a little wider brim on the hat would have been nice, giving a little more of a sombrero look.

I find Mexican History to be fascinating. The 1800's and early 1900's appear to be one revolution after another. The central government would be corrupt, and then populist revolutionaries would appear to challenge the central government, but often times these revolutionaries were just as corrupt as the central government. It is interesting to try and figure out why the US evolved into a more stable government and society in the same time period. 

Wow, was that a Wild and Crazy Mystery Person Contest yesterday. The guesses were coming fast and furious. It was all I could do to keep up with all the contest entries. By midmorning I was becoming more confident that no one would get it, as it appeared my Arch-Nemesis the Evil Nate Maas had been stumped. While I did not get to have my victory breakfast this morning, I will admit that since no one had guessed it by lunch, I did have a splendid victory lunch.


I made that BBQ Brisket, and it was about the best I ever had. EAM made the potato salad and home made bread, and Mrs. PJM made the pinto beans. Now, zoom in and look at that piece of Brisket. The meat displays the highly sought after "Smoke Ring" which is the red area along the outside of the meat. I bet you have never seen such a big smoke ring. It goes half way into the meat. I have a secret formula for making such a large smoke ring. Unfortunately, I will be unable to share this most important secret with you, lest the Evil Nate Maas steals the recipe. 

There continues to be strange goings on out in Chickie Town. Handsome Jack's construction project is moving forward. He has the whole area cordoned off, but I was able to sneak in and snap a few pictures.


It looks like a large flat construction pad has been assembled.

In the picture below you can see Handsome Jack sitting on the solar panels watching over the construction site.


I will keep you posted as I learn more of what that bird is up to.

I don't have more pictures from Chickie Town right now. The chickies are molting right now, and don't want their pictures taken. They are a mess, as they have lost their feathers. Egg production is down from 9-10 eggs a day to about 3 eggs a day. Egg production is hurt when the chickies molt, and also when the days are short. I have a light on a timer in the Chickie Coop. If I turn it on, it will help get egg production back up, but if you use artificial light to increase egg production, the chickies do not live as long. So, as long as they produce enough for us to eat, I will leave the light off.